View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
stateofidleness

I'm 25 too, and if your finances are anything like mine, you better learn to DIY. Even "general" maintenance (such as service interval stuff) is expensive on a Porsche... because it's a Porsche.

if you have your own tools and a place to work, it's not terribly expensive. Parts are the expensive part, but coming from a BMW, it shouldn't be that much more than you're used to.

lessons learned, NOTHING is cheap to fix. I don't really trust any mechanic to be honest with you. I have an Indy that I trust, but it's been a pretty long relationship and he's worked on my 914's a lot. Tires are about 1k for a good set. These go quickly if you have a heavy foot (and you will lol). Oil changes are the other "expensive" service ritual as it's about $100 (DIY) and recommended about every 3000 miles. This adds up when you're used to $20-$30 oil changes.

I haven't really worried too much about the IMS thing because if it DOES happen, the car's value is almost near what it costs to get the service done (I have a '00 base). If it blows, I get a new car. Other stuff to check is the condition of the coolant tank in the trunk, oil fill cap (check the part number. has it been updated? ask the dealer to put the newest revision of oil cap and gas cap.), ignition switch "play" (should be tight), console lid hinge, and the visor mirrors (they tend to break at the hinge).

Mine's a TIP so I haven't had to worry about clutch-related stuff or anything, so depending on what you're looking at, some other will chime in on other experiences with their Box.
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote