View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
MangoTheHuman

2005 Boxster - Cost to Own?

Im sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I did a search.

I'm 25 and been looking to sell my 2004 325i and purchase my first Porsche.

I've been looking around and found two 2005 Boxster's with really low mileage (~30k). That are in pretty good shape and not too expensive.

The first shudders and feels like it's about to stall out when I tried to take off in first gear. Not sure what was going on there, but I was pretty turned off.

The second has an issue with the convertible top (it doesn't work). The dealer said they're going to fix it and get back to me early next week.

That brings me to the question - what does a Boxster cost to own? The two Porsche mechanics I have spoken with said that they're reliability is fantastic and that the only real charges that you need to worry about are brakes and tires (and normal maintenance). Same guy said that he's only done 5 IMS replacements in the last 15 years and that he hasn't had to do any for the 987.

Is the IMS/RMS issue greatly inflated? I also hear that the engines on these will go boom. That sounds horrendous. Electrical issues?

What does it cost to own a Boxster? Are there a lot of "repairs?"
MangoTheHuman is offline   Reply With Quote