View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
jhandy

home made true cold air intake

Ok, first off I know that the car came with a cold air intake. But it was restrictive.
I then changed that out for a EVO filter system. After getting super high air intake temps/low fuel ecomomy/poor power/ high water temp... I decieded to make my own SEALED cold air intake.

KN Apollo filter 86$
Spectere coupler 8$
Lexan 5$
Epoxy 2$
Spectere 3" wall mount.
Cut off MAF mounting tube from the OEM box free$
MAF Air flow Straightener-20$
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/product.phtmlp=2096&prodname=HoneyComb+MAF+Mass+Air+Meter+Airflow+Stra ightener

So what I did......There is a plastic tube that connects the engine bay with the fender. The plastic tube has three holes in it, this is what the OEM box bolted on to.
So remove the box, cut a sheet of lexan to cover the opening. Place a 3" port into the center of the Lexan. The KN filter came with a air trumpet that I epoxyed to the fender side of the 3" port. The epoxed the Lexan onto the engine bay side of the plastic pipeing. Put the pipe back in and bolted it to the body, sealing the intake system.
Then cut off the MAF tube from the OEM box (by the way it is 3" and my EVO MAF replacement tube was 2.7") Epoxyed the honey comb air straightener before the MAF. Then bolted up the Apollo sealed Air intake canister.

The car pulls better, I can tell it is happier not sucking in super heated air.

The only thing I would do different is drill a drain hole for water into the plastic pipe. I will do that this weekend.
Here are some pictures.
Attached Images

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote