View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
slogans7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
In my somewhat limited experience with oil + coolant, they don't blend together smoothly because coolant = water based and oil = oil based. There's no emulsion.

Though it'll look like chocolate milk, it won't be a smooth even consistency and you'll see oil seperation. I can't see any in that photo.

Though you certainly could have an issue with oil getting in your coolant, it seems odd that you JUST CHANGED YOUR COOLANT with non-porsche-approved version and now this happens. If you didn't notice abnormal coloring in the coolant when it came out, then it would be odd to suddenly be down 2 quarts of oil due to it being leached into the cooling system (which, by the way, would be over-flowing if it absorbed 2 quarts of oil).

I could be missing alot of info, but I'm guessing the following:

1. The photo is distorting the look of the coolant a bit.

2. You mixed two coolants together and they created that color and density and are in the early stages of gelling.

Let the mechanic look of course - but this is my guess.
Very logical analysis, my friend. I did put in distilled water and a bit of Prestone prior to this situation occurring, after the red dashboard warning light came on and I found my coolant level was really low.

The colors in the photo are accurate. The stuff (which seems to rise to the top of the coolant liquid and bubbled out first when I took off the cap to readjust) seems perfectly "mixed" - not what you'd expect from oil and water.

My temp seems to stay between 180-190. I don't know what is considered normal. My longtime mechanic is really busy and I can't get in until Tuesday. I spoke with him and gave him all the details, and he assured my the car will be OK until then, as long as it doesn't overheat. So I'm driving with one eye constantly on the temp gauge.

What temp do you guys usually see?