Thread: CEL and codes
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
CEL and codes

Hey, everyone. I just recently got my IMS retrofit and RMS fixed at a great independent Porsche shop here in CT, but a few days before I planned to drop the car there, the CEL came on.

This is the first time the light has ever come on in my year of ownership, with only about 2500 miles on it in that period of time. The car wasn't making any terrible noises or anything, the light simply came on at the end of my morning commute to work. I turned into the parking lot and the light came on about 2 seconds after that. So I had the shop come and pick up the car early and hold it at their shop until it was scheduled to be worked on.

When they began to work on the car they did a diagnostic for the CEL and were getting codes indicating a vacuum leak, and informed me that they suspected it could be a bad MAF rather than an actual leak. They did a leak test and found no leaks. Next they cleaned the MAF, cleared the light, and drove the car for at least a 40 mile commute, round trip. The light did not return and they finished the job for the IMS, RMS, rebalanced my tires which got rid of my steering shake, and I had them do my oil change since it was due anyways. They said if the light returned it may be a bad MAF and to replace that. The car ran great after getting it back, felt smoother than before (MOTUL oil must really be that good), but after driving home, parking, and then hopping in again after a short time to go to the local dealer to make a spare key, the light came back on.

I recently bought a MAF and air filter from PelicanParts and dropped them in yesterday. The MAF, at least the part that was in the hose and not out in the engine bay, was completely clean, but I remebered they'd just cleaned it at the shop, so I had to disregard its condition. Borrowing my friend's scanner, I cleared the codes after the installs and took the car on a good uneventful 80 mile drive over the next few hours. I parked at a Dunkin Donuts, ate some food for about a half hour at most, hopped back in and drove to the college campus down the road. I parked, and after about a minute of just idling, the light came back on.

So here are the codes I got after scanning it again:

P1117: Engine Coolant Sensor
P1121:: Throttle Position Sensor inconsistent with MAF
P1124: Throttle Position Sensor out of range
P0140: O2 sensor Bank 1, sensor 2

Prior to the MAF and air filter there were 6 codes, which I neglected to write down, and this time there were only 4, but I'm pretty positive they're 4 of the same from the original 6, so maybe there are multiple issues and the MAF replacement was still necessary.

I have not checked the coolant yet, as I just pulled up these codes today, but if anyone can provide some insight and troubleshooting recommendations, that'd be greatly appreciated. I'm not about to start throwing parts at the problem. Thanks in advance, and thanks for taking the time to read.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote