View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #35
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf40
I’ve been reading this forum for 6 months to get educated on buying a 986 (2001-04 S). I’m still not 100% decided on the Porsche. My families Daily Drivers have all been Honda Accords and Civics. They are great cars, and I have a great independent Honda guy that I’ve been taking my cars to for 20 years.

The question for this esteemed group is: have any of you owned a Honda S2000? If so, what do you think about them? How do they compare to the Boxster (for those that have owned both)

My heart says Boxster, but my logical side says S2000. I believe the Honda would be more reliable, cheaper Total Ownership cost for a much newer one (2006-9), but still a blast to drive.

Your thoughts?
I was exactly where you are 8.5 years ago except without the benifit of forums. Never really cared for the air-cooled Porsches & loved Honda in general for reliability & engineering (especially the shifter) bought a 1986 Prelude Si new. Did extensive test drives of every new Porsche model & quickly realized the Boxster S was the funnest of the bunch. Still knowing the S2000 was cheaper to own I rented a 2003 model & had a blast in it but knew I would tire of the constant shifting & lack of space as my only car. When the S2000 first went on sale many owners sold them in less than a year due to the impractability of using as a daily driver. Speaking of impractical @ 88,k miles a year ago market value on my 2000 Box S was about $14,k so I deceided to double down & invest $14,k into a 3.6 rebuild of the original engine. I love it more than the day I bought it & the extra torque makes it even easier to drive around town.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 06-30-2011 at 02:15 PM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote