View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone
And most buyers could care less whether the IMS has been replaced or not (just like we didn't care when we bought our used cars).
I can't agree with that statement entirely, thstone. The reason I "didn't care" is simply because I didn't know. Had I known about the issue prior to the purchase I would have sought out a vehicle that did have it done, and I know there are some people out there who know about that issue when they go shopping.

I think people are assuming that the "value" being referred to is financial in nature. I understand it as personally important value, and that is not to say that I'm going to pay more for a car that has it vs. a car that does not. But knowing what I've learned as a part of being on this forum and doing some homework (post-purchase), given two similar lower mileage cars where a difference between them is that one had the IMS retrofit or replacement done by a certified shop, I'd choose that one over the one that did not have it done, because that car, to me, would be the more reliable of the two, at least when it comes to the issues having to do with the IMS bearing.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote