View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
mjw930

17's vs. 18's performance

I just purchased a very clean 8500 mile 2003 Boxster S that has the 17" turbo twist wheels (dealer swap out when bought new) with the factory AVS Sports. I WILL be replacing these tires ASAP with either the N spec Pilots or the PS2's but before I do I'm looking at bumping up to 18". I like the idea of the 225 and 265 contact patch but I understand the trade offs in ride quality (possibly mitigated with more compliant tires like the PS2's) and cost. I'm also thinking that the 17's could become track / autocross wheels and tires (DOT Spec R compounds)

I would like some real world comments on the performance difference between 17" wheels and 18" wheels on an S. I'm looking for comments from people who have tracked the car or have experienced both sizes in demanding road conditions. Comments on ride quality count too

I know that sometimes what might seem intuitive (larger tires = better grip) turns out to be wrong in the real world. The combination of 205's and 255's might be the sweet spot for the Boxster S. I don't know the answer so I'm asking the question.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote