View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #38
jaykay

Ignition timing - exhaust back pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
That is video is not my muffler, rather a video of someone else. Alan, You are correct in your previous statement.

With the OEM headers and OEM cats, the farting was like you heard on the video, there but not that bad. When I put on the headers and took off the secondary cats, The sound was embarrassing. The awesome sound was always followed by a "PFFFFST" sound that bugged me.

On top of that, When I sent my car to Jake for the IMS replacement, He confirmed that with the headers and cat delete pipes and the muffler, the car de-tuned and retarded the timing because of low back pressure.

He advised me to put on the OEM muffler, and leave the rest. In doing that, I noticed better fuel economy and more low end power, but a wimpy sound.
Do you have an idea about whether stock headers, secondary cat delete pipes, and modified (welded-on by pass pipes from the muffler entry to the exhaust tips) stock s muffller would cause too low a back pressure? I believe quite a bit of the exhaust gas is directed through the muffler by-pass at high rpm like a pse. My exhaust sounds great and growls deeply but I am not sure it has improved engine performance.

I would think those with scan tools (via obd port) would be able to check whether their timing has been retarded with a change in exhaust components and get an idea on how they are doing with a stock flash. What ignition timing value range would be considered good and what range is bad for performance?