View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Dale_K

Oh no! Buffed through the paint.

I did some successful repair on my bumper cover recently and that gave me the (over) confidence to tackle a bunch of stone chips on the front trunk lid. I globbed some touch up paint then sanded flat up to 2000 grit, then buffed & polished. It looked pretty good but I realized that I didn't get the globs flat enough so I went back and sanded them again with a wood block to act as a sanding block. Then I buffed again and went too far.

I have some color matched aerosol base coat and of course clear coat too but it's hard to do a very small repair with them. The droplet size is kind of coarse and the spray pattern is too big. I can mask off so that the paint only goes onto a small space but it leaves a ridge when you pull up the tape and feathering the edge with fine sandpaper seems to leave a little bathtub ring around the repair that is noticeable.

I was thinking of buying an airbrush and thinning out some touch up paint to attempt a small repair where I blended the patch out. I've never heard of an airbrush being used on cars except for custom flame jobs, etc but I've convinced myself it might work. Anybody ever done something like this or have tips for small scale paint repair?
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote