View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 05:09 AM   #64
MikenOH

Garage
Since I first started this poll 3 years ago, there have been a number of very interesting posts on the IMS subject. I don't think we can draw any conclusions from this small data base except that this problem does occur and does affect an unknown % number of cars.

One thing of interest that I've noticed is that I continue to come across cars, both 986 and 987 model Boxsters, with very high mileage--+100K---that have gone that far without a IMS failure. The most recent was a 2005 Boxster S at a local DE with 117K on the clock and lots of track miles. The owner related his only problem to date was with the AOS that was replaced. This the second 2005 S model I've come across with high mileage, continuing to function with the original engine while doing lots of tracks miles as a instructor's car.

I balance these first hand observations against the reports, on this site and others, regarding low mileage, sedately driven cars that have reported IMS failures well under the 50K mark.

I don't know if the difference is more frequent oil changes/higher revs or good/bad karma, but--somehow--these bearing assemblies can survive in highly stressed use for long periods of time vs. coming part while cruising at low speeds. To me, this suggests that spirited use really does help extend the life of this engine.

Finally, I'd like to take the time to express my appreciation for all the work Jake and Charles have done to investigate the causes and provide solutions to the IMS problem. Having driven a '99' model and now an 06 over the course of the past 11 years, it's reassuring to know that there is an organization out there working to resolve potential problems with these cars with cost-effective products.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote