View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
JTP

Anyone here with 944 experience?

Since my Boxster got wrecked I've been searching for a replacement car. Looked at a nice '89 911 Anniversary edition with 105k miles. The car was nice with a beautiful body and interior but I don't think the guy kept up on maintenance. He's owned it for 4 yrs and only performed oil changes. Original clutch and to his knowledge nothing has been replaced.
Other 911s were either out of my price range or beat up.

I wasn't going to look at 944s but one caught my attention. A 1987 944S. Went to see it and the car looked new. Original guards red paint was smooth and body straight. Under the hood the original engine blew so it was rebuilt with all new parts. He had the block Nikasil'd, new internal parts, new water pump, head rebuilt, assembled with high performance fasteners. I checked compression and they all read about 200 psi. Car felt tight and although it was alot slower than the Boxster, accelerated nicely. One issue, there's a sound from the transaxle that goes away when the clutch is depressed. I had it checked and it is most likely the input shaft bearing. $1000-1500 repair. Owner stated he hasn't touched the transaxle aside from regular lube changes. From researching other forums it might be the idler gear or the torque tube bearings. Owner is asking $7500. 86k miles on car, 3k miles on rebuilt engine.

So my original question is anyone here been 944 owners? I heard their maintenance costs can be more than Boxsters and parts more expensive. I've also read the opposite. With such a well maintained car I think most of the wear items have been addressed.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote