View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Frodo

Yeah, but (1) It hasn't been all that long since I had an alignment done---I would think it should still be good, and (2) the whole reason I got the SIR tool was to avoid having to remove the bearing carrier and go to a machine shop to hydraulically press out the bearing. If possible, I wanna do this whole operation in my garage.

I'm new to this, but I guess I need to narrow my focus. (It's a bit frustrating, but DIY write-ups seem to assume readers DON'T have the SIR tool---or that, if they do, they're already accomplished enough mechanics NOT to need a lot of guidance online...) Okay, what with having that tool in hand, here's my questions boiled down to the minimum:

1) Do I need to remove the 3 strut tower nuts at the top (inside the frunk)?
2) (Maybe related) Do I need a spring compressor (as suggested by one online DIY write-up)? If I remove the 3 above-mentioned nuts but not the one centered between them at the top, the spring remains compressed, right?
3) Do I need a ball joint separator? (If so, where's a reasonably priced, easily had, fairly universal one to be found?)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote