Thread: Mystery Switch
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Box on 19's

That is a K40 Undetectable Radar Detector.. The 2 Led's are for front and rear detection. The knob on the side does.. ON/OFF, CITY/HIGHWAY, And Volume..

If the system chirps once every 2 to 3 seconds.. You've got a problem with the front sensor.. If it Chips twices every 2 to 3 seconds.. You've got a problem with the rear sensor..

Could possibly just be the sensor is unpluged or you got a loose wire somewhere.. Replacement sensors retail for around $400.. and K40 is located in the burbs of Chicago near Elgin.

I used to be an installer and I've got the same system in my 99.. Let me know if you need some other help or a wiring diagram..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTO
I have a 2000 986 that i bought used about a month ago from a broker that didn't know much about the vehicle. I found what appears to be an aftermarket dual rotary switch on the side wall near the accelerator. The outer dial is a two position on/off switch and the inner dial is like a volume dial (see photo - A). When I turned it - on the lights on the B (red) /C (green) blink and light up. There is also an audible beeping noise that sounds like a radar detector. After a few seconds the red lights go out and the green light remains illuminated - and the beep continues every few seconds. I soon loose my nerve and power it off - fearing it is a 007 ejection seat or something.
So I'm thinking a radar detector?? Nothing else seems to be different about the car when its on. Any ideas???
Box on 19's is offline   Reply With Quote