View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
And it would not be the first Porsche to do this and have a bad sensor, or some other non-fatal issue, as determined by reading the codes. In his case, he might not be so lucky, but it never hurts to look at all the available data, which is what I am suggesting. Every car that comes into my shop on a flat bed first gets a code scan before starting further diagnostics, even if there are no active MIL's; and quite often the scan points to a minor issue and the car is quickly on the road. Other times the news is not so good. But in any case, the car does not have to move, the engine does not have to be running, and you can download not only the thrown codes, but also the pending ones, as well as the final PID logs of the engines last running parameters (if you have a more advanced code tool); all in a few seconds and a little to no cost. Will it always tell you everything you need to know? Certainly not; but it usually is a good start...................
+1
Getting the error codes will speed the diagnosis by telling you which cylinder to check. A simple tool the gives a great deal of useful information about the condition of the car without turning the engine over and risking further damage. I would also pull the dip stick and check the oil and coolant color before turning any wrenches.