View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
peterbrown77

Not another novice kicking the tires!

Okay - a little patience for the handicapped please! I've been looking for a Boxster S for a couple of months (the ex is getting remarried and I deserve SOMETHING, right?). Never had a Porsche before.

I found a 2002, 2nd owner, 60K on the clock, guy's in his 70's and seems to have taken good care of it since he's had it. It has a manual, 18" wheels, CD player - I don't know if he needed the Sport package for those wheels or what.

The only issue the car has is that one of the power top cables is broken. I see the cables at pelican for about $50 a pair. Are they a nightmare to install? I'm more than handy, so it doesnt intimidate me unless I have to pull back the actual fabric or something.

Other than that, a small ding on the rear decklid from closing it on something, and a little curb rash on the rims. Hasn't had the 60K service.

The tires are incredibly loud, they're Sumitomos with about 20K on them.

So I guess my questions are 1) how difficult to replace the power top cable and 2) what is a quiet tire that doesn't cost a fortune? I'd like to make him an offer but need a little better idea of what I'm in for upfront.

TIA
peterbrown77 is offline   Reply With Quote