View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
JoeFromPA

Fun experience tonight - fuel line into fuel filter popped off while driving

Hi all,

Was driving home tonight (32 miles from work) and, luckily, I was 2 miles from home and going 50mph on some backroads (a bit spirited, but these are wide open backroads). ...

All of the sudden the car died - no sputtering, no coughing, just dead. I cruised into a neighborhood and noticed fuel smell and then a small puddle forming under the car.

Wife picked me up. Came home, loaded the car with a jack, stand, and tools, and went back out. Popped ~10-12 10mm nuts off the plastic underpanel, shoved the fuel line back into the fuel pump, and away we went!

No idea why this happened now besides me giving it some solid WOT - but I've gone 1200 miles since I replaced my fuel filter and driven it plenty hard since then.

Anyway, no big deal - took about 45 minutes to load up, drive there, fix it, and drive home.

Had to share - first time the boxster left me stranded. I gotta blame user error, though I don't know how I could've attached the fuel line to the filter in some WRONG way where it would've held strong for 1200 miles and then suddenly let go. Wonder if I have a bad fitting on that fuel line...

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote