View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
jjanari

the boat plug didn't work for me either as my plug tubes seemed fused to the engine after 90k miles.

so I made a very simple tool to pull the tubes out, which worked for me.

it consists of a large carriage bolt (about 7 inches long, with a large washer at the end of the bolt sandwiched between two nuts. I actually got the idea from my local porsche shop after asking whether there was a special tool to remove them. they had made their own tool, which I copied (very loosely). I inserted the long carriage bolt with the washer at the end of it inside the spark plug hole after removing the plug. while holding one end of the bolt, I used the other side with the washer to grab onto the end of the plug tube to yank it out. In other words, you are using the washer to grab the end/edge of the plastic tube to pull it out. it's a bit hard to desribe.

I think what you're encountering is the resistance created by the o-rings that are around the plastic tube which probably get hardened or fused after being in service for so long.

I'll try and take a picture of the crude tool I made after a run to the hardware store...
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote