View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Johnny Danger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacabean
that is correct. bondo does not stick to poly and fiberglass is much more rigid . i would only use the ruf or factory porsche aero parts. i actually have some basic working knowledge on fiberglass molding and mold making . i have made some small architectural parts in the past. polyester resin(which most body parts are made from) is nasty stuff only barely good for making a mold in my opinion . it's major problem is shrinkage (because it is cheap). then i would make the part out of epoxy and glass. I am surprised they don't use epoxy in the aftermarket . epoxy resin is much more durable , no shrinkage , resist water better and is not toxic but cost 3 to 4 times more than polyester . I think the problem is that it can not be gel coated but who cares your going to prime and paint anyway.
i have had many thoughts on trying to make parts for the boxster. but designing a part that looks proper and fits seamlessly to the car ("the plug" usually made out of foam or plaster) and making a mold are extremely time consuming for one person.
It's funny that you should mention the idea of making your own parts. When my vehicle first went under the knife, the project manager said that he could perfectly replicate my body kit by creating his own molds for just a few hundred dollars in material ! Needless to say , that was a tough pill to swallow after I had just laid out thousands !!