View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
Tieniber

Garage
A Fresh Take on Subwoofer Locations

Hi everyone,

For a while now, I've been working on fitting a subwoofer into my Boxster. As most of you know - not a easy task. Both the footwell and behind the seat options take valuable space from the passenger, which I wanted to avoid. Recently, I saw JAAY showing off his rear compartment woofer, which looked pretty awesome, but I wanted to try something different.

So, I realized that with a single din radio and climate control in the upper console, the lower front console had quite a bit of empty space behind it. After measuring, it looked like I just might be able to squeeze a JL 6w3v3 subwoofer in there, either facing upwards or forward.

Tonight I completed a proof-of-concept box for the woofer, and it sounds great! I ended up aiming the woofer upwards, and actually building an inverted box. That is, the speaker faces into the box, which is a wedge shape as shown in the attached images. The angle needs to be steeper and the top of the box is a bit too long, but I got the general concept in there.

Now, this was just a quick mockup box to see if my idea would work (I wasn't so sure about the inverted box), so now the real work begins. I need to fit the original lower console plastic shell over the speaker box, which is definitely going to be a feat of engineering when complete. As always, not a lot of room to work with!

I'll be sure to post updates as I make progress!
Attached Images

Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote