View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole
Greetings all

Having scoured the forum, it seems Castrol Syntec 10W40 would be the preferred oil for my 2.5. However, I can't find much reference to this oil in the UK it certainly does not appear on Castrol's UK website.

I also note that on the USA site, there is no longer a Syntec oil, rather there is "Castrol Edge with Syntec Power technology".

There are Castrol Edge oils in the UK - Castrol Edge and Castrol Edge Sport. But neither is available in 10W40. Closest is 0W40.

Any ideas whether this is just a branding issue / are there differences in the way oil grades are rated either side of the pond?
It seems to me this is all brought on by the never ending quest for reduced emissions & increased fuel economy regardless of the impact on engine wear. In the USA it seems Castrol is seperating the new oils into emissions compliant & "specially formulated for classic cars" with the most obvious difference is removing zinc & lower viscositys for cars with cataylitic converters. I believe 10-40 is the best viscosity for 40 degree & warmer M96 engine operation. Castrol is owned by BP so maybe you could pop into their office & tell them what we want for oil along with resonably priced higher octane petrol!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote