View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
RandallNeighbour

bearing changes on a wheel hub opened a real can of worms for me. To get to it, you have to take off most everything from that corner of the car suspension-wise.

It's a wonderful time to replace a strut, tie rod, control arm or two (or three in the case of the back wheels) because there's no additional labor to take out an old one and put in a new one.

The can of worms is that you should not replace just one strut and they aren't cheap.

You may want to invest in a new lower control arm on that one corner and have the mechanic put that in when he takes the old one off. These wear out way too prematurely on our cars and cause some nasty-loud squeaking when you go over bumps or turn the wheel hard and go into a driveway. It's caused by the steel bit wearing through the rubber gasket and rubbing against the aluminum.

I will say this though... I had all four wheel bearings and most of the suspension swapped out on my car a couple of years ago and it now drives like a brand new car and it's QUIET. I had no idea how noisy worn suspension parts (loose, clanking, and random squeaking that was hard to pinpoint) and nearly-worn out bearings made the car.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote