Old 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
J Tinsby

My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod
Hey guys,

So what do you guys think?

CR
I think the clear bra in general is a great choice, especially on a new car. Get it on there right away and you are good to go. Painting and repainting seems like a not so great idea but it's up to you.

As far as price that will vary from installer to installer and also on what material you choose to use on the car. Lately I have switched from 3M to Venture Shield Ultra film for my cars. The Ultra film has very little if any 'orange peel' unlike the 3M. As far as protection: my wife's SLK bumper managed to find a truck bumper with a trailer hitch on it. Whether she hit him or he rolled back we'll never know. BUT there was no damage to the bumper on the SLK, yes the film took the brunt of the sharp edges on the hitch! All I needed to do was replace the piece on the lower fascia and it's as good as new. The car is black and has had a clear bra on it from new like my 987. I believe in the product and have nothing bad to say about any of them, but I like what I like. Obviously the more popular brands would be more favorable to use imho.

Make sure you get your headlights done too, so miles down the road you won't be asking how to clean up the UV damage and sandblasting effects of driving

One last thing.. don't fall into the trap of trying to do it yourself if you have never worked with this material before, doing a Boxster with all the compound curves on it is NOT the place to learn. It gets expensive really fast if you are teaching yourself using 1 kit that you got from the 'net and you ruin it. Find a shop that does it, ask to see cars they have done and if you can, talk to the owners that had work done there. Find out what warranty they offer on their work and get it in writing! It really is an art to apply the film and have it look good so leave it to an expert.

You might want to check out Sticker City's webpage they sell kits pre-cut for most cars, Boxsters of course. The trouble you will have if you buy the kit, you won't find an installer that will put your kit on your car. They lose money because they can't do the mark up on the film as well as charge you an install fee.

Sorry I can't help you, Canada is a bit far for me to go :/

Regards from your neighbor to the South!