View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Jake D

I personally think the best way to find an exhaust leak which isnt always obvious is to go buy a cheap stethoscope from Autozone/etc. I bought one last week for the same reason, a pesky ticking sound from my exhaust. It cost me $10. It comes with a long metal rod which can be used to trace down other engine noises.

What you would do once you buy one is take the metal rod part off so that you have nothing on the end of the hose. You can blow into it or put it by the muffler to hear how loud it can be when air moves across it. Jack the car up, craw underneath and start moving the hose around to all the exhaust joints first (anywhere there is a union of pipes whether that be between flanges, head, or clamps).. from there you could search the cats to see if you find any cracks. If its just a gasket, replace it. If its the cats, decide if you want to have them welded or buy some by-pass one or???

Just be aware the hose is rubber and you're checking hot exhaust pipes, so it can melt. Mine did some.

Hope that helps some