View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwade
Keep your car. You sound like an aficionado like me that does not want any dings, chips or other problems to occur with associated daily use. Mine is a mere toy and it will always be a toy.
I'm kind of obsessed with keeping this car in good shape. I treat the leather and rubber every month or so. Polish and wax every six.
Quote:
Is the 3.4 really that much stronger and walk away from your S? If so, how much?
Yes, it's that strong. It honestly felt like it might be able to give my buddy's 385 HP C4S a run, maybe not win, but not embarrass itself. It's probably closer in power to weight to the C4S than it is to my S.
Quote:
You could do some things like install bypass pipes and headers on your S...I did and my car is very quick. You could also install an IPD plenum and 74mm tb for increased grunt. I am contemplating this now along with a softronic ecu flash.
For me, this would be as far as I could go without changing the engine, but if it does grenade on me, I would send it to Jake for a 3.6 upgrade and forgo the 3.4 for sure.
I'm not even a big power freak, even the 250hp of the S is more than enough for the street. But power is addictive and the 3.4 is an intriguing possibility.
Quote:
Sounds like the 3.4 car you are looking at has cosmetic flaws that quite frankly, I could not get over, so that would be a track car for sure and one I would not hold back on.
That's why I'm thinking about it. I don't want a garage queen, I like to use my stuff. The possibility to use it without the constant nagging in the back of my mind might be a relief. On the other hand, I do like having something that I like to look at. I would hate to walk out to my Porsche and not see it as something special.
Quote:
The S model to me has all the 911 hop up parts of the era so trading down to a base model, power or not, would not be in my thought process. And yes, you say it was installed in 2000 which is quite some time ago, and you could run into issues within the next couple years.
True, there are alot of things that go wrong with these cars, and the 98 will surely need some attention. But then again, my car's engine is the same age so I'll probably need to do a little maintenance work on it soon as well.
Quote:
Honestly, and I know I may sound a little nuts here, but what do they want for the 3.4? Can you afford to have your cake and eat it to? Maybe keep your pristine S model and have a "project" car you can continue to work on and be fun to drive on occasion???
I thought about that but I just don't have room. I have a 3 stall garage and 4 cars already. Plus, my wife would never let me hear the end of it if I added another toy to the garage and kicked her out to the driveway.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote