View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_K
Thanks for the replies. No other symptoms. I've been having trouble with a fuel trim CEL and the car was running rich at low load and lean at high load (didn't make any sense) and a new MAF sensor cured it per the Durametric readings and subsequently I've been totally free of CELs. It did the same kind of smoking before changing the MAF sensor.

I suspect the cold start enrichment might be the culprit but I have no idea how it works. My car acts like the first start is OK but then it uses that value as the starting point for the second start and enrichens it again, sort of doubling up on enrichment. That might not really be what's happening - you know how owners get an idea about something that's totally off base.

It's hard to see how oil migration could be different. I mean the oil has a full day to drain back down to the sump.

Horizontially opposed cylinders don't drain down very well. The worst normal operation you can do to any engine is start it & not allow it to fully warm up to normal operating temp. With over 100,000 miles on your engine I would assume your cylinder walls are worn & possibly out of round.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote