View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #1
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Angry rear window is torn :(

Hey, everyone. Over this weekend I took the vehicle out for a spin, no issues of note, but the next day (which clearly brought rain) I came back home to find this hole in my top's rear window.

I'd left the car uncovered from the night before because I usually give it a little time to cool off before putting the cover back on, but it got late and I left it uncovered, figuring I'd take care of it the next day. Thankfully it didn't end up letting in more than a few visible drops of water, and for now I've placed a folded bath towel over the spot and put the cover back on, but I'm going to duct tape it tonight to make sure nothing else gets in there.

Now I'm pretty positive the hole wasn't there before I went out for my ride because I'm sure I would've been hearing some wind and highway noise. The temperature was a bit low that night, went down to the 40s, and I did not drop the top at all during the drive for that reason because I know the plastic gets very tight at low temps. Does anyone think this is something that could have occured form the plastic being stressed due to the temperature and/or the pressure that occurs when closing the doors, or does it look like someone cut my window? Has anyone seen or had something like this happen before?

I guess it's a good excuse to get a GAHH top with a glass window now, but it's still disappointing with the nicer weather finally starting to come around after a crappy winter...and I wasn't exactly looking to buy a new top or fix/replace my somewhat cloudy window so soon.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote