Thread: TPC turbo
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
The Radium King

i'd go into all that with a grain of salt. i've been looking at what's available from tpc and would note that they are a major sponsor of two other boxster/cayman forums. as such, i've seen people with (a) competing products, and (b) complaints/issues, get stomped by moderators in a very aggressive fashion. so caveat emptor when relying on the internet for representative info on how the product performs.

go to youtube to check out the sound of their product. to my ears it is very 'ricey' but that is subjective. the product does have turbo lag; there is a great video of a guy getting on the gas coming out of a corner and getting pushed off the road when the turbo kicks in. some people have had issue with the tune. there seems to be a recurring oiling issue with the turbos (they may have fixed this by now). if you go with the intercooler then you sacrifice your third radiator; odd, given that you want to be getting as much heat out as possible in this situation. there is no bov or diverter, so you will get surge when you are off the gas (not a big deal in this low pressure situation). you have to read the fine print to believe their hp numbers; you need 94 octane on a 3.4L engine to acheive the numbers they post.

I'm not down on them, but i can't help but get the impression that there is a bit of information control when it comes to their product and you have to dig to get at the juicy bits. I've done a bit of digging and thought i'd share.

fyi, there is also turbowerx, but thery look to be a bit hack (look where they put their intercoolers). and, there is ivan at ima motorsports. he looks to have a cool product. he is using aerodyne variable vane, sealed intercoolers. no need to connect oil lines, no need for bovs or diverters, no need for waste gates, and the variable vanes allow for boost throughout the rpm range, so no lag. he is working on a low-pressure, twin turbo application for the cayman and has already put them in 911s.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote