View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
Rui725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'm not surprised that IMS issues are same-same manual vs. tip, it's an internal motor issue. Also not surprising that the tip took longer to surface, these are typically run at significantly lower rpms than manuals, esp. when cruising.

It's true that the manual outnumbers the tip, but not by much and not until very recently.

Boxster production was virtually 50/50 manual vs. tip until '06. Production since has favored the manual and has tilted total Boxster production in favor of the manual, but only to about 52/48, that's what the local PCNA service rep told me.

There are loads of tips on the road folks. Maybe not so many on this forum, but they're out there.

Cheers!
I thought it was the opposite. Running at lower rpms leads to a greater load and less lubrication to the engine, leading to more likely IMS failure.

There are indeed a lot more tips than one would expect, as many of them are out there driven by lesser car enthusiasts. The IMS rate is honestly magnified in the online community. Keep that rpm high and the oil changes frequent. Heck, drive it in the snow too.
Rui725 is offline   Reply With Quote