View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
shlim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
though a very knowledgeable fellow says that because if the way TIPs are driven (slowly) and their probable oil change intervals (less frequent) there is some thought that the statistical probability of failure is actually higher than on a manual shift car especially if the manual shift car is driven with some spirit.

All you need to do it wait for the oil to warm and then take those revs up occasionally. I go to 5500+ at least once per trip. And change the oil at 3k. That should get your probability of failure back into the same range as the manual trans cars. And who knows exactly what that is ...

Not mine ! On the usual monthly journey home, mine's usually at 4k-6k rpm for at least 45 mins to an hour out of the 2.5 hour journey. Unfortunately, this baby has been under-utilized by the prev owner - 29k km in 9 yrs (red flag ??). I've put on15k km in just 6 months !

Yes, I always wait for the oil to warm up or at least anticipate (no gauge) when the oil will warm up before spirited driving.

But ah... oil change at 3k ? I was doing 5k and thought that was safe.. I've also started using 5w50 oil - that was the suggestion of the opc. Feels more slugglish but helps reduce the occassional smoking on startup, although everytime I wash the car, it's always a good bet she'll'll smoke the next day.

I've got a 2001, which supposedly is more unpredictable on whether it is a single or double row ims bearing.... if I do the ln bearing upgrade, it'll probably mean that I order both the single AND double row bearing or have the car held up for 3 weeks or so if I dont get it right the first time round ??? That's why I've been delaying the upgrade... (i know I know, it's still a smaller price to pay vs the possible failure).

Last edited by shlim8; 04-17-2011 at 05:51 PM.
shlim8 is offline   Reply With Quote