View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Sourcerock

IMS - Just in Time

Bought my 2000 S March 2010 with 65K miles. Shortly after the purchase, interested in spending some $ on performance. I was looking to find the best value upgrades for intake, exhaust, cams, wheels.

After reading the various posting on this forum over the past several months, my decision reluctantly turned towards the IMS, Clutch and RMS. The car now has 73K miles on it.

The first step that PMO was getting the exhaust off, even after hitting it with penetrating oil for one week. Once the exhaust was out of the way, I was at the flywheel in short order (almost, had to drive to Napa to get a speciality sock for one unique bolt holding the tranny to the engine).

The second thing that PMO was I was too late for the clutch job and dual ma$$ flywheel is pooched which just about doubles project costs.

The third thing the PMO was getting the nut off the IMS bolt. I only have a propane torch so it was tough getting enough heat to it.

Finally got the IMS out last night. Just in time as there is a lot of play in the bearing. I removed the plastic insert and half the dual row bearing fell out when i turned it over. It's very likely the chain would have jumped the sprocket soon.

For anyone out there who wants their $ go to the fun go fast goodies like I did, I have to say follow the good advice of the forum and spend your money on M96 flaw. I'm sure it just saved me a lot of time, grief and money.
Sourcerock is offline   Reply With Quote