View Single Post
Old 08-19-2005, 07:54 AM   #27
kiwiinneworleans

7 days and counting....

What a great posting - some awesome stories!!

I'm 30, married, with no kids, and in one week, I will be the proud owner of a midnight blue 2000 2.7 Boxster that has done 30,000 miles. To me, owning a Boxster represents the following:
1. Rewarding my hard work, rewarding my past conservatism (Ford, Toyota, Ford, Jeep), with a quality german engineering
2. Becoming part of an elite club of individuals who take pleasure in driving some of the greatest produciton cars in the world
3. Creating a sense of identity - buying something that my friends and colleagues will identify me with.
4. This is my "diamond ring".

Come on - lets face it - there is no sensible justification to buy a Porsche - if we were all as conservative as I am, we'd be driving cheap Chevies our whole life. It is all about reward. I have worked hard through my career (graduated college young (20)), spent 10 years with a great company. I have yearned from a young age to own a Porsche (specifically a Boxster), saved and invested a lot of cash, and now have the cash to easliy afford this car, both to purchase, insure and maintain without impacting my lifestyle (giving up good wine for a porsche?.... no way!!).

To the young guns straight out of college wanting to get straight into heavy debt to buy this car to look "cool", I tend to side with Larez2 - buying any heavily depreciating item on credit just makes bad economic sense from whatever way you look at it. Buy something cheap and reliable that you can pay off quick and establish good credit, work for 5 years, save some money, then buy with outright cash. But if you are lucky enough to have the cash, make the decision to buy quality, realising that if you want to play in this game, you will also have to "pay" in this game (i.e. we don't want to hear your whimpers about $'000 services....). Go and read the technical forum, and just see how bad things can really get!!

Wish me luck folks - and to the site moderators - you are doing a fine job!!

The Kiwi in New Orleans (now in Houston).
kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote