View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #19
Aron in Toronto

The factory recommendation against using 18" or larger dia wheels was for the '97 model year only (North American market model year 1997) and it was due not only to wheel tire weight but as mentioned earlier the additional stress caused by larger dia wheels and shorter profile tires.

Simply running larger wheels with equal weights to 16" or 17" wheels will not prevent the possibility of damaging the suspension / body mounting areas that were strengthened on '98 and later years.

That said I use 18" MY02 wheels that I use in the summer for street use. I've read that the PCA Boxster tech adviser said that there is "probably" little risk in running the 18" wheels on '97s when used on the street. The suspension will see greater forces on the track regardless of what wheels sizes are used, especially when R compound tires are used, which is also not recommended by Porsche.

I’d be interested in seeing photos of the affected areas and the damaged caused by running larger wheels, so that I could monitor the condition of my car and possibly catch a potential problem early on.

Aron