View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #13
boxsterfromhell

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA
You need to very carefully examine the area where the forward engine bulkhead meets the rear chassis members, looking for deformation and particularly evidence of cracking. This area, along with the rear suspension mounting points were significantly strengthened in the later cars after Porsche discovered wheel diameters larger than 17 inch over stressed them on the 97’s, causing flexing, cracking, and potential failure. This was discussed in an article not too long ago in Excellence magazine.

I know that this response will cause a litany of “I run 57 inch wheels on my 97 with no problems”; but once you have seen on of these cars start to flex and come apart, it is pretty chilling. I’ve also read that one of the dead give away’s that something is wrong is that when you try to jack up one side the back end of the suspect car, it tends to twist before picking up both wheels on the same side the way an intact car does.

Ahhh, and like Mike's response, your's too makes complete sense. I am no stranger to owning luxury sports cars, although this is my first Porsche. I just don't understand why no one has been able to diagnose my problem after 5 months, wheras in one day, I have gotten so many amazing armchair results!!

Thank you.
boxsterfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote