View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #20
mikes_box

Jake-I'm sure it wasn't too bad when you took the top of right. Not too bad to due as long as you take your time and follow the instructions. When putting the top back on my suggestion to you is to put the top back on in same order all the way to fastening it all up in front. The last thing you want to do is to lock the back window and canvas in to the frame. What we did was do everything in reverse and finish it up then when we put the top back on we noticed that the rear window was totally off--there were waves on the window and we thought that it was sewn on incorrectly. After a few minutes of thinking we took the back part apart--the rubber and locking piece of plastic with the top all the way closed then we started at the far end and pulled on the canvas to make it nice and tight and make sure that the window was really stretched then we pushed in the looking piece of plastic. We did that in steps making sure there was no waves. Jake you could always sell your boxster S and buy my buddies as he is thinking of selling his car and moving into a 996. Same year and color as yours but it is highly optioned with a new clutch, ln bearing, h20 pump and everything else already fixed which was on your wish list...

Whip-- I'll get some close up of the stitching. It was done nice and tight. The guy he went to does tops and interiors all the time. Which I was brave in the past with my other boxster to have had the window replaced rather than just putting clear tape over it during the rain. The top plastic is thinner than the OEM. I believe the OEM plastic is 40 gauge and the smoked one is 30 gauge.
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote