View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
smshirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
It makes no sense for you to own a Porsche. That car is going to be a continual $$$ sink. It sounds like you need to be saving money now, not spending it on a toy.

This is good advice. Murphy's law is alive, well, and just lurking in the shadows to attack those who are most vulnerable. It took me a couple of decades to understand the the net effects of being "car poor" and by the time I realized it, I could almost afford to drive what I wanted. A lot of people gave me the same advice, but I didn't listen. I would have reached that point much earlier in life had I not been so determined to have that instant gratification of a car payment that looked more like a mortgage in my check book.

I can attest to Porsche ownership being much more satisfying when you can actually afford a catastrophic failure or being able to pay cash for whatever you want to drive. You'll get there eventually and each minor decision in your life adds up in determining just when you reach financial independence. The current economy and your earning potential will recover.