View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
JAAY

There is a lot of info out there on this subject.

First.

You want a cold air intake correct?
- You bought a car that came equipped with a already built in as good as it gets cold air intake. Heck, the car has a hole in the side of it just of the intake.

Maybe your looking for a better flowing intake?
- Cone filters have only one type of filament. At first it will flow more air than a stock filter but the second it gets dirty all that went out the window and the stocker outflows the fancy crap filter. Yes you can clean it non stop if you would like.

Maybe your looking for that sweet growl the cones give you?
- De snork the car and get a drop in filter like a bmc or a k&n. They still both only run a single filament. Good sound, still needs much attention.

Say you do the cone filter and fancy pipe. You get the growl and the better flow. It will come with that nice piece of bent abs plastic that is supposed to shield the intake from the engine heat. Take some readings and realize that you will be no where near the stock intake air temps. In fact you will be running a bunch hotter intake temps.

You don't have to believe me. But if your anything like myself, you don't want to have to service a expensive filter and worry about over oiling it and blowing out MAF sensors. Also the numbers don't lie. Intake temps are are good for the extra ponies. The lower the better. Our stock box completely shields our intake source from the engine heat and is routed perfectly to our intake hole in the side of the car. If you want some more noise de snork it and get a aftermarket intake pipe or make one. This will get rid of the inline resonator and give a smoother flow.

Like I said you don't have to take my advice. I have experience with both setups though and this is the conclusion I have come to. If your wondering where my intake temps came from - I bought a scan gauge.

My .02
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote