View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Gary in BR

The turbo boxster left me stranded

Hello everyone,

I've been kinda quiet lately but I need the boards help.

Tonight I was driving alone and when I hit my hi beams the engine dies.

A little back ground to catch everyone up. My 99 Boxster as 178,000 miles and a twin turbo conversion on the original 2.5 engine.

The car ran perfectly fine until I hit the high beams. As soon as I flashed the high beams the engine goes silent. I tri to restart it...nothing. I tried the old pop the clutch trick...nothing. I coasted to a stop. I have full electrical ac, lights, top, radio everything except starting the car.

Now fast forward 3 hours and 2 tow trucks later....have you ever tried putting a lowered car on a flatbed....dont.

I've looked at hoses, oil level, everything I can think of and it looks fine.

Here is my conclusion but I would like your opinions. I've noticed over the past few years my ignitioswitch has been going out. And I did say years, it's a little pain every few weeks I'd have to turn the key a few time to get her to fire up. So I have been running the original (one of the few original parts left) ignition switch.

When I try to start the car now it's is just as if the switch is not working everything works except no engine turning over, no starter, nothing.

If the switch finally died 100% tonight would that have stopped the engine?

I know a lot of electrical componets run though that little switch does the keeping the
car running go though there also?

Any ideas if the switch caused this?

Thanks in advance

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote