View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
MN 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-bling
My window stopped moving up and down when opening and closing the door about a month ago. I've been to busy lately to have the problem diagnosed at my local porsche mech., but now (as of yesterday) it will not go down with the window switch (it did before). Im assuming that means its not the sensor in the handle, but the window mechanics or motor?

My mechanic is the only qualified person within many, many miles here and knows it. He charges a pretty penny...but does quality work. Id like to fix this issue myself (save a lot of cash), if anyone can help me with a diagnosis? Any input is appreciated!
I had the problem where the window would not go up/down when opening the door and found a thread titled 'Door window drops but immediately jumps back up'. Search for it and it may have your answer.
It identifies the problem as a microswitch inside the door lock assembly. I don't think you can get the switch by itself, so I tried lubricating it as recommended (no luck) and then replaced the door lock assembly. It was a DIY for me.
The part is called the 'Door Lock Mechanism', and is available at:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=N&make=POR&model=986M&section=INTpnl&page=1&bookmark=7&part_number=8N1-837-015-C-M100

You will need a special type of wrench called '12 point triple square' to remove the part from your door, but I found a set at the local O'Reilly Auto for not much $. It is used to remove the 2 bolts visible on the door jamb part of the door.

Not sure how the window not going up or down at all fits in.
Good luck with the repair!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote