View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
tonycarreon

so far 2001 base TIP @ 86k miles (keeping in mind i purchased the car may 2009) and i have not replaced the WP and from the service records it is still the original pump. i think it's even the original coolant since it's not pink but a pee-ish yellow/green.

i would like to replace it but i get conflicting stories - "lasts a long time!" - "replace it every 3 years" - "replace it every 40k miles" etc...

i was at my local p-car shop and told him i wanted to replace it. when i answered "because it's old" to his "why" question he said "i've seen them go a long time before needing to be replaced and it seems that once they're replaced the replacements go bad quickly"...

i have had a WP go bad on one of our previous cars - 2001 VW Jetta @ 135k miles. symptoms? temp needle jumped to the right, coolant light started flashing and the car dumped coolant all over the road. replaced it with OEM (plastic impeller) and the replacement went out 9 months (and 24k miles) later. replaced it with an aftermarket and it was still fine when we sold it @ ~175k miles.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 04-01-2011 at 01:27 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote