View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #16
smshirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
FWIW a friend of mine is selling his 3.8L Boxster for $18K or maybe a bit more.

That sounds like a steal! I have 18k in my motor alone to get 300 to the wheels and paid close to 20 for the 01 986S three years ago, before the bottom fell slap out on M96 cars. I did sell MY97 with >100k miles for 14 though, so the depreciation was really a wash for me. I'LL never get anything close to that out of it now, but then you can't expect to recover the costs on a vehicle, even a Porsche. I don't believe I'll ever sell it anyway. I still have less in it than if I had bought a CPO, and I have 911 HP, more torque, and a pretty much bullet proof motor.

I believe Jake has figured out the M96 just like he did the Type IVs, and so does he I think. I opted for the high torque build and it feels like a car with way more power than any NA Porsche I've ever driven. The only comparison I have is to the 350HP supercharged 911 I had back in the 90s. That car was louder and more in your face, but I feel confident the Boxster would outrun it in anything other than a drag race, and if I didn't have the lightweight flywheel it might win that too. Torque is what matters in a street car. You just can't go fast enough, for long enough on the street for the high HP at the upper limits to make that much difference.