View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
Cloudsurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
I am going to redo my gearbox this year and put in a sprung clutch, I am tired of the clacking from a single mass flywheel and a solid clutch. It is amazing how much faster the rpms come up and also go down during shifts.

I have had to learn to keep my foot on the accelerator on shifts to rev match more smoothly.

Glad to hear about the Gbox detent, my second gear does not pop out but the synchro is definitely on the way out.

BTW: Spec recommended a stage three clutch to me as well with a 3.6 motor and 986 gearbox.
I had several lengthy discussions with SPEC regarding my build, and was assured that Stage 2 would be more than adequate. Looking at the specs on Stage 2 vs Stage 3, the Stage 2 is good for 405 lb/ft of torque, while the Stage 3 is good for 508 lb/ft. Even putting down ~400hp, my motor doesn't even make 330 lb/ft of torque, so why would I need anymore than a clutch rated for 405? A stock 3.6 doesn't even make 300 lb/ft, so why do you feel the need for a clutch rated for over 500?

My clutch has NEVER slipped.