View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
harryrcb
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by monaghana
Sorry just wanted to check if you are you talking about the RMS

I had my 02 Boxster S in for a major service in December and the mechanic advised me that there was some oil showing at the rear main seal (RMS) He described it as 'sweating' and said it was not unusual for these cars. I should keep an eye on it and check regularly. Four months later my car was in yesterday (same garage) for its annual m.o.t. inspection and I had braced myself for a hefty quote to have the seal replaced and while we're at it we might s well replace the clutch oh and we'll drill out those exhaust bolts and replace along with gasket. I was watching the clock and adding up the #50 per hour labour costs plus parts thinking I'm easily into four figures.
I was pleasantly surprised when they called to say car ready for collection. When I got there they said nothing required. Yes the seal is still sweating but no worse than before (and I'm driving the car every day added about 2k miles since service), the bolts can wait for another time and we'll see you next December. Keep checking oil. Bill for 58 pounds.

He did say they had a stack of Porsche engines in the back all oil related damage, so make sure you check oil level regularly.

My car has 42k miles
Yes there were issues with the RMS and they redesigned the seal but the IMS is right underneath the RMS and will also leak in the same location so you can't tell which it is until you pull the transmission out. If you have your RMS replaced, do yourself a favor and replace the IMS bearing with LN Engineering's setup. It's the safest thing to do. and change the oil often - 5k(miles)