View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Steve Tinker

I think there is a dividing line between second hand electrical / electronic componants and used mechanical parts.

Many (all) electronic componants that are stored from new in their original packaging are usually still good after several years, but those same parts that have been used and then placed on a warehouse shelf or left "in situ" can degrade at an alarming rate - especially if there is high humidity or cold damp conditions.
I was a maintenance engineer before I retired and would treat used electrical / electronic componants with high suspicion, whereas I would store & install good used mechanical parts (obviously subject to inspection) without a problem.

One of the biggest problems we are seeing in the manufacturing industry is the breakdown of the electronic control componantry purely as a result of aging - even if the control system is working 100% one day, the next you can have a complete failure for no apparent reason.
This is going to be the killer for a lot of cars over (say) 15-20 years old in the near future - especially those that have marginal quality ECU's.