View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Lil bastard

No offense, but I don't think a helicoil is a proper repair for this. Helicoils require you drill an oversized hole in the piece and there's no real strength - it's essentially just a spring. Helicoils are notorious for coming loose (perhaps due to improper installation, but I've seen several fail). This isn't a stripped sparkplug hole, it will need to withstand some good forces on it.

The Timecert requires an oversized hole as well, but as it's basically a threaded bushing, it completely fills the hole providing great strength. And it won't pop out, it literally locks itself in place - the only way to remove it is to drill it out.

Also, it shouldn't take 2-3 hrs. to do the repair (not allowing for access, etc.). Watch the demos on the site, they are installed in under 30 secs. OK... by an experienced person, but that translates into minutes for an inexperienced one. And, they're using a cordless drill to drill the hole, the countersink and Timecert install. It's simple enough to hold the drill sufficiently perpendicular to the hole to do the repair. Watch the demos and see what I mean.

Yea, it may be a little spendy, but that's where it is. Plus, as I did, you can always re-sell the kit and get most if not all of your money back.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 03-21-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote