View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
landrovered

Garage
I'll see if I can answer a few questions...

1. 40 gauge is thick and since it was the only thickness with the DOT approval I went with it but I think that 30 gauge would be perfectly fine. I did see the tinted 30 gauge and was tempted but went with clear Kal Glas in the end.

2. The black silicon is meant to waterproof only and does stick to the edge of the canvas and the window material although the window is really slick and even the hot glue can be peeled off of the kal glas with a little work. I don't think you could glue canvas top material together with it, especially if it was under tension.

3. I cut the old window out of the top and cleaned everything completely before starting again. Since the material is 40 mil, I did not use a vinyl backing pad but for 30 mil I would recommend it so that the thread does not cut through the window material. I think that a black backing material would look better than none on the inside.

4. I Sprayed it with the hose to check for leaks. I did go back and hit a few minor spots with silicon and it is all good. Also it is a lot quieter while driving now.

5. I started to do a lock stitch (saddle stitch) and had a machine type needle (with the hole at the sharp end) but ditched that in favor of a simple stitch with a traditional needle and a knot at the end of the thread. It worked just fine and I went back into the old holes as much as possible. Thread came from Walmart.

I should have documented the process but honestly I was not really sure how well it would turn out so I did not take any photos. I will try to snap some after pics for you guys.

Scott

Last edited by landrovered; 03-21-2011 at 10:10 AM.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote