View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
JoeFromPA

Need immediate advice - stripped front engine mount yoke stud holes

Hi all,

Pulled my old engine mount out tonight and installed the new one. All was going well as I bolt the new mount up to the engine, tightened it, then lined up the yoke bolt holes with the matching holes on my 99 boxster's chassis.

I put 2 studs in no problem, tightened moderately with the nuts until it helped line up the others.

Put the next stud & nut in....tightened it....bam. Stud was tight and is now fully loose and pops out. Same thing happened with the one afterwards. Studs are slightly stripped and WILL NOT re-engage in the chassis. I spent 30 minutes trying to get them to re-thread, no luck.

What I need to know immediately is: can I take this to my mechanic and get him to tap out a new, larger (I'm guessing m12) threaded hole in the chassis and yoke?

Joe

P.s. Gently started and drove the car to test if I needed to flatbed it to mechanic - car drives fine with only 2 studs holding the yoke to the chassis. I felt safe with this considering how little real weight that front yoke carries. No ugly vibrations either.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote