Thread: Ignition switch
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
limoncello

I talked with the guy at Autozone, they have the switch - an electrical piece and the locking cylinder. He was asking whether the problem involves the steering lock. Sort of, maybe, not sure. When I first got in (car had not run for a week or so (had to use the key in the door lock) inserted the key and it would not move in either direction. I turned the wheel back and forth slightly to see if that would free things up. I don't think it did. Then, seemingly randomly, the key turned freely and the car started normally. Drove a while, came home, turned off normally. Got back in later the same day - same routine. Key wouldn't turn at all. Fiddled with the wheel. Then randomly, key worked. The sudden free turning of the key did NOT seem to correspond to fiddling with the wheel. (Had an 80's Volvo, had to move the steering wheel every time to turn the key - know what that feels like.) Is this the steering lock or just the cylinder not working? Any way it could be an electronic/coding issue? Open for ideas -
Starting with changing the locking cylinder seems fairly cheap, if that doesn't do it I could try other things (?)
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote