View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #47
rkwei

Someone asked me if the ACLU or similar type of organization is involved in defending folks. The answer is it's the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) located in San Francisco.

They work on a pro bono basis and have more asks for help than they can handle; in part because of all the Righthaven suits. This means they try to take the more promising ones that can hopefully set precedents.

Unfortunately their case load was full so I was referred by the EFF to a group of intellectual property gurus - Ridder, Costa, and Johnstone, who served as my attorneys.

They took my case because I was willing to fight and they thought I had some compelling arguments. Reality set in when Righthaven brought in a "new set" of lawyers who indicated they were going to be just as obstinate as I was. Many legal arguments & counterarguments were traded - it became clear that Righthaven wanted to have a precedent case as well - and they'd have been happy to have it been my case. Also note my previous post about additional liability to others being potentially dragged into this.

After toting up the figures to go all the way to the 9th circuit court I decided I had better settle.

RKwei
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote