View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
rkwei

986forum.com Sued by Righthaven - The Story

986forum.com and myself was sued by Righthaven for copyright infringement. The suit was for $150,000 and surrender of the website domain.

Background:
In October, a forum member, cut and pasted a story from the Las Vegas Review Journal (****************) regarding Harry Reid. While we try to be vigilant about this, neither Brucelee or I caught it; after all in this day and age aren't we protected by Fair Use standards and wouldn't an offended party just ask us to take down the article....NO!

**************** sanctioned a company Righthaven - to assume the copyrights to their articles. Righthaven pays for the copyrights and then seeks out websites, forums, blogs and their owners who may have used those stories without permission and sues them. To date over 150 companies have been sued by Righthaven, some more notable like Matt Drudge and NORML, but most others are small like us.

After much research I discovered Righthaven is exploiting a loophole in the Federal law re: DMCA; specifically regarding asking nicely to take down an offending article. If you are not a registered DMCA agent (register your website with the government) then they can sue you. Needless to say - better late than never - I am now the registered agent for the forum.

In November - I received notice of the lawsuit. I retained legal services and was willing to fight but a change in circumstances forced me to seek settlement. The suit is now wrapping up but as a result it has wiped out the forum bank account and hurt me on a personal financial level.

Note: To those that have wondered - this is why links are turned off - to prevent further mishaps despite the protections that are in place.

Let's grow this website some more!
Sincerely,
RKwei
rkwei is offline   Reply With Quote